It's almost the end of 2016...and what a year it has been! We wanted to take a moment to reflect on what this year has meant for Elpis, and what we have to look forward to in 2017.
2016 was Elpis' inaugural year. What began as an idea between two second-year students has snowballed into an established organisation that has been recognised internationally at conferences in the USA and Switzerland, with a strong grassroots network of support that crowdfunded over £6,000 to support our efforts.
In 2016, we:
- Presented our idea at the Clinton Global Initiative in California, USA
- Designed and manufactured our "Solar Hub" in partnership with Greek company Entec
- Successfully installed 6 Solar Hubs across different camps in Greece
- Had our work covered by Reuters, the Huffington Post, Mashable, and more
- Showcased our work at the GoodFestival in Switzerland, winning the PremaGyan Good100 Award
- Presented at TEDxUniversityOfEdinburgh
- Developed a Raspberry Pi extension to host localised information, which will empower users from the ground up
- Conducted successful fundraisers, from our IndieGoGo campaign and GoGetFunding campaign, to the EUNAS Charity Ball, and multiple events in partnership with Greyfriar's Kirk.
It has truly been an incredible year for Elpis, and we want to thank all of our supporters from near and far.
2017 looks bright, kicking off with an interdisciplinary trip to Greece in mid-February where we will install 6 more Solar Hubs, attach the Raspberry Pi devices to all 12, gather important information about camp dynamics, and learn how we can continue to help the communities there.
Happy New Year!
The Elpis Team